Getting Started with an Android
This is video 2 of 5 in the Getting Started tutorial series. It covers Android phone setup.
- Hold the power button down for 3-5 seconds to turn on your Android.
- Note, if you received an Android with your kit, the battery is already installed.
- If the phone does not power on, try charging it first.
- Complete a series of “setup” steps.
- We expect that most users will want to decline activating their phones with any cell phone carriers. Doing this will make it so that the Android phone is only capable of accessing the internet when connected to wifi. It will not have cellular data capabilities.
- The only setup question that you must complete is signing in to your Google account so the app functions correctly.
- Connect your Android phone to wifi.
- Swipe up to access all applications, and click the Settings icon (it looks like a gear).
- Select “Network & internet”, turn on wifi capabilities (it’s a sliding button), and connect with your network and password information.
- Note, if you are not in a location where you can access wifi, you can use a Hotspot connection (if you have a smartphone with cellular data capabilities and Hotspots enabled).
- If you choose this option, turn on the Hotspot in the settings on your smartphone.
- Within your Android phone, again go to “Network & internet” within settings. Select “Hotspot & tethering” and select the appropriate setting for the hotspot that you created.
Join Our Weekly Community Call
We know that getting started with new technology can be overwhelming. If you’ve received your device and are not sure how to begin, or would just like to join a call with other users to share tips and discuss use cases, check out our weekly community call. We are also happy to help you set up your Android in this call!
You can join at this Google Meet link or dial (US) +1 413-648-7923 PIN: 921 538 870#. For international folks, more phone numbers can be found here. We will meet each Tuesday from 11 am - 12 pm EST.
If you can't attend at this time, feel free to post your questions on the Our Sci forum. This will make sure we can find the best person to support you!
Or, reach out to email@example.com to ask your question over email, or schedule a meeting at a time that works for you.